Monday, May 19, 2008

tini, Red Hook Brooklyn




We hadn't been to tini since planning our wedding at the Waterfront Museum last year (when I drank a glass of Ransom Willamette Valley Riesling and LOVED it) and since then I've been looking forward to my return.  A cozy wine bar at 414 Van Brunt Street, it's the perfect place to lunch and imbibe on a spring afternoon.       
With 15 white wines offered by the glass, 13 reds, and 5 roses, a day could quickly turn night, especially if you manage to nab a spot on the plush white couch.


 tini describes the spot just fine; the space seats maybe 20, if you include the four-stool bar.  And though the food deserves some deliberation, I'm going to skip that because we're here (or at least I'm here) to think about wine.
Since the pours were twice or thrice what I'd tip into my glass at home (nice!), I drank only (only!) two before revisiting the Waterfront Park and shopping at Fairway.

Wanting to try something new, I went for wines I knew nothing about, and the waitress was kind enough to offer a taste, for which there wasn't much need because I ordered them both anyway. 




Soellner, "Danubio" Gruner Veltliner, 2006

From the Austrian village of Gosling on the Danube, this pale straw colored wine developed a pleasant bouquet as it warmed (served much too cold, any scents or flavors were at first difficult to detect).  Typically, the varietal Gruner Veltliner is citrous (grapefruit), perhaps full of tropical fruits and lentils, and spice.  I sensed pear on the bouquet and palate, and spice (I wasn't sure which, but later read it's often white pepper, which in retrospect seems right).  I'd be curious to revisit this wine with a new set of tasting notes, maybe I'd then get it right.  Very yummy for the price.

Domaine des Cassagnoles, "Cuvee Gros Manseng" 2005

Made from 100% Gros Manseng grapes, this golden colored 
wine, thicker and fleshier than the GV, threw me for a loop.  
Sniffing repeatedly like a bad habit, I kept searching--what was it? Floral? Apple? A bit of spice? A little oaky? But couldn't seem to  get it right. Perhaps too subtle to detect, still, it 
wasn't a bad glass of wine.


No comments: